Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fine Falls

* * *


Despite getting up at 5:30 I still nearly missed the mountain sunrise. Guess I dawdled a little.



Aside from just having a nice hike, I hoped to find enough water in the creek to photograph a waterfall or two.



With the falls in "gentle" mode, I crossed the creek and poked around the peripheral fern grotto.



Probably not that many people have taken in this view, but I know at least someone else has. A nearly full bottle of Sprite had been left behind.



Hopefully very soon there will be much more water pouring down the gulch -- too much to allow anyone to make a photograph from this vantage point at the base of the falls.



First time I ever saw lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) on Mt. Tam.



This is as far down the trail as I'd planned to go. I was glad at least a little bit of water was falling here. The little orange things on the log are chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms. They must have sprouted before the creek rose.



Little purple cup fungi.



These deer mushrooms were just too perfect to pass up, having sprouted right out of a log just as sassy as you please.



Always nice to have a chance to photograph Western bluebirds.

* * *