Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Favorites

* * *

I used to run out on short excursions to Mt. Tamalpais, and I always brought back a lot of flowers--as many as I could carry--and it was most touching to see the quick natural enthusiasm in the hearts of the ragged, neglected, defrauded, dirty little wretches of the Tar Flat waterfront of the city I used to pass through on my way home.... It was a hopeful sign, and made me say: "No matter into what depths of degradation humanity may sink, I will never despair while the lowest love the pure and the beautiful and know it when they see it."
--John Muir, quoted in Tamalpais Walking 
by Tom Killion and Gary Snyder



Coulter Pine Toes



Buck at Meadow's Edge



Jack-in-the-Grass



Paper Wasps



Forest Litter



Flame Skimmer



Bolinas Ridge #1



Bolinas Ridge #2



Potrero Meadow



Pennyroyal



Ladybug & Milkweed



Milkweed & Mylitta Crescent



Datura Fruit



Redwoods on Helen Markt Trail



Mud Dauber



Quail Run



Fir in the Fog



Cat Stretch



Fog Drip Puddles




Helleborine Orchid



Coyote on Edge of World


* * *



Bolinas Ridge #3

9 comments:

  1. Another excellent set of photos. Many appealing compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bolinas Ridge #2 looks like it has a filter on it. Are the colors true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, that shot was taken in 2006, before I'd switched to digital, so it's probably a combination of warm light, Velvia film, and telephoto compression. Bolinas #2 is zooming in on the distance seen in #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FWIW, I put up a #3 shot at the end of the post that was taken soon after the #2 shot....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since you pointed out how yellow grass truly looks blue in the shadows, I've been looking at colors in photographs a little differently.

    You didn't switch to digital until 2006? Eh, I guess it was about 2004-2006 when prices dropped and quality improved for digital cameras. I can barely remember film now, and in some cases I think it still produces a superior image. Digital photography has had a massive impact on our society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I fully switched until '07, when I got a used D200 and started this blog. Not having to buy film anymore was huge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could create a Mt. Tam Calendar from these, of course you'd have to narrow the selection down to 12 which would be difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, and at the end of the year I'd have to throw it out!

    ReplyDelete