Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Stinky Spot

* * *


The first frame was just the deer's nose.



The camera-trap spot stunk, but not because of the striped skunk. 

I was actually happy to see that I'd captured a skunk since it's my first on the mountain. The spot stunk because it caught so many hikers. Two four-legged animals and eight two-legged critters. One of the hikers obviously spotted the cam, but I'm not sure he knew what it was. He proceeded to squat right in front of the camera and fool around with something in his knapsack for ten minutes, setting off the camera many times.

I set the camera out on April 4, attaching it to an oak limb that was covered with lush green moss. When I picked it up this morning, April 16, the moss was already dried out, its color faded (and the cam stood out like a sore thumb). I caught the hikers on April 6, 7, 10 and 13. The set was on the edge of the woods next to a meadow, just off the Coastal Trail.

* * *