Friday, June 5, 2020

Hummer at Twinberry Flowers



Although I'd just photographed Fern Canyon and Roosevelt elk around Gold Bluffs Beach back in June 2008, I still remember being most grateful for having gotten a photo of a tiny Allen's hummingbird feeding on native twinberry flowers (Lonicera involucrata) (not to be confused with twin flowers, Linnaea borealis). I'd first encountered twinberry growing along Redwood Creek between Muir Woods and Muir Beach.

I might have been especially pleased because I'd often photographed these hummingbirds in the man-made gardens of Strybing Arboretum, and there was something special about finally photographing them in a wild and natural setting where the birds are much less accommodating of close proximity to people. 

On my bike ride yesterday I noticed that Strybing Arboretum is open again, at least at the front entrance. The back entrance (nearer Stow Lake) was still closed. Unfortunately, campgrounds up around Redwood National Park are still closed, and I'm not too hopeful they will open at all this month.

* * *