Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Cold & Dry

 

A Bobcat emerges from the chain ferns surrounding a mostly dry creek bed.

My habit has been to ride up to Mt. Tam every other Thursday to check on my trail cameras, but with rain in the forecast I figured I'd go up earlier this week. Monday was still too windy, and Tuesday was almost too cold. I had to do a bit of self-cajoling to actually roll out the door, but as usual I was glad to be outdoors on such a beautiful day. 

The ride was fairly uneventful: uncrowded bridge crossing, greater yellowlegs and black-necked stilts probing the mud at low tide, light vehicle traffic, still-blooming weird azaleas, the squirrel carcass was gone, a couple of awesome road-bikers passed me on my e-bike while going uphill (a remarkable feat that has happened only twice before), still-blooming California fuchsia, and dry brown hillsides.

I moved the trail cameras back to the pool, which was covered with powder down left behind by bathing band-tailed pigeons. I'm hoping to capture something interesting before and after the coming rain. Hopefully we'll get enough rain to finally get the creeks going.


Second frame of bobcat capture (video below)



Crop of the previous frame.


Gray Fox


Buck with skinny antlers.


Dual-frame overlay of passing coyote.


The new GardePro camera has a "no glow" flash for night photography, and the animals (including this coyote) really don't react to it. The Foxelli "low glow" camera sometimes mesmerizes animals to the point where a 10-second video shows nothing but the animal staring at the lights. The downside to "no glow" is the flat light.


Tam Cam Video Clips

* * *