Saturday, April 8, 2023

Carrizo Plain

 

Wildflower Mosaic

Just wanted to share some Panasonic FZ80 shots made last Tuesday (4/4/23) as we drove through Carrizo Plain National Monument on our way to San Diego to see the only live platypuses in the United States (and thereby scratch off one of my wife's longtime bucket-list items). 

We were surprised right off the bat by how full of water Soda Lake was. So many times I've seen it much more soda than lake (see 2013). This time it was too full for even a 180-degree panorama. 

I love fiddleneck as much as anyone, but I was a little perplexed by how much of the plain had been taken over by it. I'd never seen it before in such monocultural abundance. 

Although I only had time to use the point-and-shoot on this trip, I'm giving serious thought to heading back down there with my DSLR. Judging by the look of things we saw during our drive home today, there's plenty of time left to catch great color all over the place.

[UPDATE] If you click on the image below titled "Carrizo Plain and Temblor Range" to see it full-sized, you'll note a purple stripe in the distance. I believe that stripe is part of the huge purple splotch of color that NASA satellites captured on April 6.]


Along the Soda Lake Overlook Trail


View Over Soda Lake


Carrizo Plain and Temblor Range


Carrizo Plain and Caliente Range


South End of Soda Lake Road


Cloud and Paint Spill


View Toward Elkhorn Road From CA-166


Orange Poppies, Orange Jeep: The Grapevine This Morning

* * *