Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Morning at Pt. Reyes

 

Yellow Bush Lupine Above Point Reyes Beach


Looking at the weather forecast over the weekend, it looked like today might be the best day this week to head out to Point Reyes National Seashore to check out the current state of the wildflower bloom. By "best," I mean I didn't want to spend hours in the car to do photography in rain or heavy fog. I think the last time I was there, the fog was really socked in, and I never even took my camera out of the bag. Not that Pt. Reyes in the fog can't be amazing, but you have to be in the mood for it.

It was still well before sunrise this morning as I approached Nicasio Reservoir and Black Mountain and noticed some tell-tale patches of darkness blowing across in the sky. There was definitely some fog in the air, but it wasn't too bad, even all the way out at Chimney Rock (where I was pleasantly surprised that they'd resurfaced the beat-up road out by the Historic A and B Ranches).

I had Chimney Rock all to myself for the couple of hours I was out there. A few deer kept their eyes on me, a raven kept watch from the bluffs, and a peregrine falcon perched on a rocky fin high above a small group of very vocal seals on the beach below. I kept hearing voices and thinking hikers were finally arriving, only to realize the sound of merriment was coming from the seals.


Waning Moon Above Inverness Ridge


Wild Mustard at Drake's Estero


Getting My Bucks In A Row


Deer in Iris Meadow Near Chimney Rock


Morning Poetry Over Drake's Bay


Bush Lupine Along Chimney Rock Trail


Small Iris Patch


Point Reyes Bluffs


Seaside Daisy


Douglas Iris


Patch of Tidy Tips


Seaside Daisies & Goldfields


Point Reyes Beach
(with two deer at lower left)


Deer Browsing Among the Wildflowers

* * *