Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Neighborhood Youngster

 

Young Red-tailed Hawk Sticks the Landing, Golden Gate Heights

For the last two or three weeks, a young red-tailed hawk in my neighborhood has been crying out for its parents to bring it some food. I hear it pretty much every day and have wondered how long it will take the youngster to learn to hunt on its own. Most of the smaller birds have finished feeding their begging young ones (although I saw a late-blooming house finch being fed this morning). I guess the bigger the bird, the longer it takes.

The adults have to feed themselves as well as the young one, of course, and I'm impressed that our neighborhood can support that much predation. After the sun goes down, the owls and coyotes come out. Mice and gophers don't get a break.


The adult red-tail used the strong onshore winds to soar in place above its hunting grounds (composite photo).


The youngster had been waiting in a tree but eventually took wing to fly over the field and cry out its hunger pangs.






Yarrow Flowers & Greenbottle Fly, Grandview Park


American Lady Feeding on Coast Buckwheat




There were several American ladies fluttering around in the strong winds atop Grandview Park, but only one red admiral.


* * *