Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Klamath Basin



About twenty years ago this month, a group of farmers in the Klamath Basin opened a sluice gate to protest water being used for the benefit of wildlife. They were soon shut down by federal marshals. The image above seems like a nice reminder that nature deserves water rights too. These are some photos from a July 2007 trip to see the Klamath Basin in the summer.



Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) with Chicks.



White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi)



Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius)



Eight-spotted Skimmer (Libellula forensis)



Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala)



I don't recall what the actual air temperature was, but I remember being instantly drenched in sweat when I stepped out of my air-conditioned car to check out this marsh. I'd never experienced such a humid heat in California before.

* * *