Friday, October 2, 2020

Reflections

 


Does a Great Egret ponder its reflection or reflect on its ponderings? I wonder how long it takes a young egret to learn how to compensate for refraction when hunting.



I was having a brain-freeze and tried to google "who pondered his reflection," only to be disappointed by the results. None of them answered my question. It only worked when I added the contextual word "mythology." Of course, if I had queried "who fell in love with his reflection," I'd have gotten right to it, but I couldn't even remember that Narcissus didn't ponder so much as swoon.



A Brown Pelican swoops over its reflection, having too much sense to swoon over it.



A sleepy looking Mew Gull also appears to be in a reflective mood.



It's been so long since I went out to photograph shorebirds that it took me a minute to remember that this is a Willet. All of these photos were shot at Crissy Lagoon one October day in 2007, eight years after the marsh was connected to San Francisco bay to expose it to the tides.

* * *