Friday, October 16, 2020

Taylor Creek

 


I read that Taylor Creek State Park was going to remain closed during the salmon run this fall due to Covid-19 concerns and problems with dog-walkers having scary encounters with bears along the creek.



When I went up there ten years ago the close bear encounter I experienced was probably the highlight of my trip. A large mama bear suddenly emerged from the woods and crossed the creek toward all the people.



I was down by the water's edge and swung my camera around to shoot a few photos and was thrilled--and a little bit concerned--when the bear kept coming closer, eventually getting so close I could barely fit her head in the frame. The bear wasn't interested in me, though. She was interested in the small crowd of people off to the right of me. There was a whole line of them pressing their backs to the brushy forest edge, holding their dogs for dear life. I don't really understand why dogs are allowed out there during the salmon run.



On the other side of the creek, Junior was using some driftwood to get closer to the action in the water.



But when mama scampered back across the creek, Junior soon followed, and both disappeared into the woods.



Farther up the creek, Mr. Claws was feasting on the kokanee salmon.



Taylor Creek



This salmon looked like it wasn't going to take any guff.



Kokanee Salmon on Taylor Creek



Splash.



Merganser feeding on the creek.


After checking out the bears and salmon and other wildlife at Taylor Creek I drove out around the lake to visit the Bonsai Rock. The next day I'd head down I-395 to check out some fall color in the Eastern Sierra near Bishop.

* * *