Sunday, July 17, 2022

Bumps on a Log

 

California Quail

The Mt. Tam Cam has been doing log duty the last few weeks, but now that the creeks are drying up I've moved the cam to a pool where I hope to catch various animals coming down for a drink. One of the animals that showed up a lot last year was a screech owl, and the owl made a recent appearance here on the log. I have yet to catch a daytime photo of it.

Although the cam was hidden pretty well in a hollow of this tree, I hadn't counted on one of the resident foxes managing to knock it askew. It was a good thing I'd secured the camera to a rock, or it might have tumbled to the ground. You can see in the frame below where the owl shows up that the cam has been jostled to the right.

In addition to seeing the various animals that stop by, it's kind of interesting to see the difference in the quality of light on the mossy log and surrounding forest.

A long time ago, probably in the '90s, I found a strange animal on a log that spanned Redwood Creek. It was just lying there half-way across the log, dead. I took it to Muir Woods to see if a ranger could tell me what it was, and it turned out to be a weasel. I'd never seen one before and had no idea they were so small. I think of that encounter whenever I set up the trail cam on this log, but no weasel has ever been caught on it, which leads me to suspect that they prefer being farther down the mountain.


Western Fence Lizard


Gray Fox


Gray Squirrel


Sonoma Chipmunk & Possible Newt


Hermit Thrush


Screech Owl


Fox Play

* * *