Sunday, January 15, 2023

Radar Games

 

Downtown Downpour

It had hardly rained at all since early this morning, but as soon as I decided to go out for a walk, the sky darkened around me. I had consulted a weather radar app on my phone, and it looked like the mass of rain would drift to the south, so I continued on my way to Grandview Park. A brief shower chased me under an eave over someone's driveway where I tried to ignore the security cameras pointed at me. As the rain let up I continued to the park and climbed the stairs against the flow of people heading back down to escape the coming rain.

From the top of the park it was plain to see that the rain was not going to pass to the south and miss me. When it reached me I took refuge under a tree and checked the radar to see if the rain would soon pass. No such luck. The yellow stuff on the radar looked pretty far off, though, so I stuck around to enjoy the view and the simple pleasure of being outdoors in some interesting weather. It was a little chilly to be standing around very long in shorts, though, so I reluctantly headed home.

This morning I was looking back at some blog posts from January 2014, which was a very dry month. I had set up my trail camera next to Redwood Creek, in a spot that I'm sure is completely underwater right now. But back then I had found a very picked-over deer carcass and set up the trail cam to see if anything was still coming by. I only wish I'd had video and audio on that camera, which was my first trail cam.


Storm Over Frisco


Nope, I'm not going to wait it out.

* * *