Monday, August 21, 2023

Shape-shifting

 

An immature acorn woodpecker (given away by its begging) crowds an adult as the adult removes a saved morsel from an acorn pantry on Mt. Tamalpais.

I recently replaced my seven-year-old computer because it would no longer connect to the internet. It seemed like a bit of a shame to get a whole new box since I could still use apps like Photoshop, but now that I've gotten everything set up (always a bit of a headache), I'm impressed by how fast the new machine is. It boots up in about a minute, versus the old one's 10-15 minutes! I used to turn on my computer, then go make breakfast and coffee while it booted up.

It seems like I just got back from reveling in the mountain air among the bristlecone pines, but I'm already yearning to make another trip. The tropical storm that just passed through makes the prospect even more enticing, as does next week's blue moon (the second full moon in August).

In the meantime I biked up to Mt. Tam to check on the trail cams. They didn't get as much action as I'd hoped for during the last two weeks. I probably wouldn't even have posted anything on the blog, but the video had a nice surprise in it, with a buck deer shape-shifting into a coyote. 

Also, in homage to the tropical storm, I've posted some old rain-in-the-city file photos.


The adult prepares to launch, taking its acorn to a quieter location.


This animal trail is much steeper than it looks, and the coyotes, deer, and foxes, all negotiated it much more gracefully than I did.


Shape-shifting deer, and foggy fox.


The Cliff House in better times.


Land's End


Rainy but colorful day at the fishing pier.


Commuters (remember those?) in San Francisco's Financial District. 


Life in the weather, downtown San Francisco, 2001.

* * *