Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Morning Drive

 

Drakes Estero

I needed a little break from my urban hike-n-bike routine today, so I drove out to Point Reyes to take in the sunrise. It was high tide as the sun came up, but my plan to photograph the Giacomini Marsh was thwarted by fog over Tomales Bay. I continued out Sir Francis Drake and took in the estero as the approaching dawn gradually brought the landscape to life. 

Up next, I thought I might look for mushrooms on Mt. Vision, but I quickly realized I wasn't in the mood for spending a lot of time scrounging around in the woods and possibly coming up empty. I did see a mushroom-picker with a bucket on his back, but I didn't get a chance to ask if he'd scored any porcini.

Meanwhile, the lion's manes (not bear's heads, as I originally thought) were calling from Mt. Tam, so I drove up to Rock Spring and hiked down the trail to collect them and snap a couple photos with the DSLR. The mystery fungus had grown out its "mane," so I collected that one too, since lion's mane is supposed to be really tasty. Unfortunately, although it cooked up nicely and looked great on a dinner plate, the flavor was mild and uninteresting. 


Vertical Estero


Mt. Vision in fog, with sun breaking through.


Pond near the top of Mt. Vision Road.


View toward Point Reyes and Chimney Rock.


Roadside gardens near Inverness.


Pearly Web


Sunny Redwood Forest


Redwood Forest Floor


Lion's Mane


Close-up view of the spines.


Fall Color


I'm sure this slime mold wasn't sporulating when my wife and I hiked down the Cataract Trail two days ago. It would have been impossible to miss. 

* * *