Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Down the Creek

 

Drifting Past the Huckleberries

I figured if I'm going to walk in the rain I'd rather be in the woods than in the city. 

I also wanted to collect some hazel pollen and knew where a couple of hazels were located not too far down Cataract Creek. On my way down to find them I suddenly recalled where I could find a bunch of hazel, only to remember soon afterward that it was a bunch of huckleberry. I had gone to the huckleberry patch before to gather a handful of soil in the hope of transferring some beneficial microbes into the soil around our huckleberry at home. It might have worked too well, come to think of it. Several branches broke under the strain of all the berries we had last year.

When I reached the huckleberries I realized I'd somehow missed the two hazels I had in mind. It wasn't really raining at the time, so I decided to make a few compositions of little scenes in the immediate area. On my way back to the car I found both hazels and collected a little pollen to dust on the flowers of my backyard hazel.


Creekbed Edged with Chain Fern and Hucklberry


Mosses Loving the Rain


Corkscrew Tree


Polypody Ferns


Gentle Cascade with Mossy Rocks


Newt on the Scoot


Fox on the Cam


Recent Tam Cam Clips

* * *