Thursday, February 8, 2024

Fading Shrooms

 

White Coral Fungus

With the exception of this white coral fungus that's still going strong practically everywhere I look, I didn't see much else fruiting today. The most interesting thing I saw was an area in the woods on the way to the trail cams that looked like some kind of scuffle had taken place. There were flattened patches about the size of a small deer lay, crushed hound's tongue and other plants, and lots of dug-up earth. There were some mossy rocks above it all, and I imagined a bobcat pouncing on something that put up a fight.

After my short hike I thought about heading down to Duxbury Reef for low tide, but my heart wasn't in it. I remembered that the tidepools right after a storm can be quite silty, and I didn't want to drive all the way down there for silty pools, then have to drive back to the city around rush hour. Also, Panoramic Highway from Pantoll to Stinson Beach was closed. According to the state park's web site: "Panoramic Highway is CLOSED between Pantoll Campground and Stinson Beach due to storm damage. It may reopen on Saturday 2/10/24. Access to the park from the Mill Valley side is clear and open."


These little mycena mushrooms looked much redder in the direct sunlight, but it was too harsh for a photo (so I used a diffuser).


Down-and-dirty, as always: a couple of waterlogged chanterelles cozy up beneath a giant, mossy oak tree.


These stout oak branches all rise from a single trunk. 


This bobcat made some interesting scent marks (see video).


Tam Cam 2/8/24

* * *