 |
| Northern Yellow Warbler, SF Botanical Garden |
I figured the SFBG would be a good place to poke around with the camera today since I'd be able to find shade and water fountains. The heat definitely made a difference to me, and I had the sweat-soaked t-shirt to prove it, but the critters showed little evidence of heat stress. Little, but not none. Although I saw no birds bathing, I did see a Western Tanager panting in the monkey's hand tree. Nearby, a Townsend's warbler was sipping nectar from the few monkey's hand flowers remaining in bloom.
The highlights were photographing both a Hermit Thrush and a Swainson's Thrush in the same general area, a perched Twelve-spotted Skimmer, and a Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly.
 |
Anna's Hummingbird in the Garden of Fragrance
|
 |
| Steller's Jay |
 |
| I was waiting for a hummer to nectar on the mallows but tried my luck with a Northern Yellow Warbler in the meantime. No hummer showed up before I finally had to leave and find some shade. |
 |
| Twelve-Spotted Skimmer |
 |
| There was just the one yellow warbler, but it got around to a few different plants. It always ended up back at the mallow, though. |
 |
| The Pipevine Swallowtail seemed to be looking for some pipevine to land on (and maybe deposit eggs?), but there's little left beyond leafless stems at this point. |
 |
| Western Tanager |
 |
| Townsend's Warbler after dunking its head into the monkey's hand flower to pull up a beak full of nectar. |
 |
| Lesser Goldfinch |
 |
| I expected the guy to take off as I moved closer and closer, but the seeds must have been too good to give up for anything short of a hawk. |
 |
| The Steller's Jay was eating some kind of nut, possibly an acorn (it's perched on an oak branch). |
 |
| The tanager spread out its tail feathers, perhaps to help cool itself down. |
 |
| It was moving around with its beak open, panting in the way that birds do. |
 |
| The Hermit Thrush was very skittish, so a distant shot is all I could get before it flew away. |
 |
| In and around the monkey's hand tree, a Swainson's Thrush also played hard to get. |
 |
| This view shows a tiny bit more of its side. |
 |
| It was just about time to head home when I ran into another photographer who pointed out the orb-weaving spider that had recently snagged a bee. |
* * *