 |
| Belted Kingfisher, South Lake |
I veered off my usual walking route this morning to check out the Brocken spectre happening at Grandview Park. Then down along the Sunset Greenbelt, a first-of-season Devil's Coach Horse Beetle crossed my path. Later at Mallard Lake I saw my first-of-season Cedar Waxwing. A little farther along at Elk Glen Lake, I once again encountered the mangey-tailed Coyote that I saw on Friday in the Oak Woodlands near McLaren Lodge.
Fast-forward to my bike ride when a hoot from the woods drew my attention to a snoozing Great Horned Owl west of Chain of Lakes. Finally, a chattering Kingfisher caught my attention as I passed South Lake on my way home.
In other words, another pretty good day of nature observation in San Francisco.
 |
| Brocken Spectre at Grandview Park |
 |
| Raven & Brocken Spectre |
 |
| Devil's Coach Horse Beetle |
 |
| When I tried to move into a better position, the cedar waxwing (which appeared to be flying solo instead being with its flock) flew away. |
 |
| While I was waiting to see if any cedar waxwings would return, I watched a tiny Anna's hummingbird nectaring nearby. |
 |
| The coyote was on a mission, trotting right along, heading west. |
 |
| I didn't notice the mangey tail until I saw the photo, and I doubt the coyote recognized me either. |
 |
| Rounding Elk Glen Lake, a Great Blue Heron stood beside the trail and didn't fly away as I approached, so I couldn't resist snapping a photo. |
 |
| When I got home I decided to take my full-frame camera with me on the bike ride. I'd seen robins feasting on Cotoneaster berries yesterday and hoped to find them joined today by cedar waxwings. |
 |
| No waxies showed up, although I did hear a flock high in a eucalyptus tree on the west end of Middle Lake. |
 |
| Why the robin made a difficult reach for a berry despite having easy ones right in front of its beak, I have no idea. |
 |
| I'd just packed up after photographing the robins when a hoot from the woods got me to unpack it all over again. |
 |
| Maybe its hoot was just its way of signing off for the day. |
 |
| Kingfishers don't like being watched. |
 |
| I was able to luck out with a few frames as it skedaddled to a new location. |
 |
| Eventually, though, it returned. |
 |
| Almost immediately it dove and caught a fish. |
 |
| Either it was just toying with its food, or it took a bit of doing to get it in position to finally send the fish down the hatch. |
 |
| Dahlia Dell |
 |
Bicycle Dell (This was the scene at the west end of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival on Sunday afternoon. The east end had probably ten-times more bike parking.) |
 |
| Sunday Morning's Sunrise |
* * *