Friday, October 27, 2023

The Clear Light

 

Mt. Tamalpais Reflection at High Tide, Richardson Bay

I kind of felt like hanging out around home yesterday, but it was too nice a day to skip my Thursday ride up to Mt. Tam. 

I was surprised how high the tide was (six feet) when I reached the bay along the north end of Sausalito. The water was almost up to the bike path. A couple of killdeer were foraging between the path and the bay, relatively new arrivals. The greater yellowlegs and black-necked stilts were still around too. Three guys were casting their fishing poles onto the mirrored surface of the water. On the way home I stopped when I saw the water become disturbed near the shore, wondering if a tiburon had chased its prey into the shallows, but eventually a sea lion popped its head up.

I used to bring snacks from home on these rides. I'd usually eat them beneath the big oaks at Rock Spring or out along West Ridgecrest to take in the expansive view. But last week I didn't have anything to bring, so I stopped at The Good Earth for a cheese croissant, which turned out to be such a delicious and filling treat that I did it again this week.

It was windy and a little chilly up on the mountain, so I took a short hike, ate my croissant, placed the trail cams in a new location, then turned around to head home. It was warm again by the time I got back down to Tam Junction.


Reflections Near Coyote Creek


Clear view to the Farallons, with turkey vultures soaring in the wind.


Things don't usually change much in a week, but this time a large area around Rock Spring had been burned. It's been a while since I last saw signs of prescribed burns out there, and I've never seen such a large swath of grassland get treated.


I'm looking forward to seeing what this fungal mass matures into.


A red admiral soaks up the sun while perched on the lichen-crusted bark of a Douglas fir.


A killdeer forages along Richardson Bay.

* * *