Sunday, October 8, 2023

Yardsters

 

Show-offs

I'm getting about 18 gallons of gray water per load of wash, and running two loads a week has been keeping the garden alive all summer. I was worried the gray water would actually harm the plants at first, but all is well after my second year of using it. 

Incidentally, I just read an article that says it's a myth that coffee grounds are good for your garden. The author, James Wong (writing in the Autumn 2023 issue of New Scientist), points out that, "Coffee grounds, even after brewing, are still a rich source of caffeine" -- which is a kind of natural herbicide. Oops.

I'd forgotten what one of my plants was called, but Pl@nt ID came up with the name. I'd mentioned our gopher problem to a guy working at Sloat Garden Center about three years ago, and he recommend the plant, called society garlic, as a gopher-inhibitor. I planted some and it didn't flower until the second year we had it. I was surprised to find it flowering this time of year. (I think our problem gopher was eaten by a cat; I found its gut pile and skull out back.) I still plant small leftover garlic cloves here and there in case gophers (or vampires) come back.


Society Garlic
(Tulbaghia violacea)


Fuchsia Sage
(Salvia buchananii)


Bush Monkey Flower
(Diplacus aurantiacus)


Garden Pals


The Usual Suspects

I heard the Blue Angels getting started just after I posted, so I went to the back room with the FZ80 on the off chance I might photograph them going over one of the Twin Peaks....


* * *