Monday, December 11, 2023

Forest to Reef

 

Hilton's Aeolid (Phidiana hiltoni)

Looking for an excuse to drive up to Mt. Tam with my DSLR gear, I combined a little mushroom-hunting with swapping out my trail camera batteries, as well as visiting Duxbury Reef during yesterday afternoon's low tide. 

Climbing the hill toward my trail cams I found a large fruiting of bear's head fungus (Hericium abietis) jammed under a stout and nearly prostrate bay laurel branch. The forest didn't seem particularly bursting with fungi though, and the duff was surprisingly dry. Nevertheless, I found a few sparse specimens to photograph out along the north end of West Ridgecrest Road.

From there I coasted downhill toward Bolinas Lagoon and got out onto Duxbury Reef well before the 3:30 p.m. low tide. There were only a few other people out tidepooling -- until about 3 o'clock, when a large group of folks showed up at once. I went over to see what they were finding and was envious of their sharp eyes when I saw that one guy had collected a couple of cool nudibranchs that I had not already seen, plus a tiny six-rayed sea star and one other tiny starfish. Sadly, I don't think anyone on the reef saw even a single ochre sea star, which was a common fixture of our tidepools before they were struck down by sea star wasting syndrome.

The guy had collected his prizes in two small plastic containers, and I hoped in vain that he would return them to a pool so I could photograph them in a natural setting. Although that was the eventual plan, I wanted to be somewhere else for the sunset and left the reef while he was still showing them around. Interestingly, there was a California Acamedy of Sciences guy there who asked the young man to find him when it was time to release his captives since there were considerations to be made about how and where to do that.


I didn't realize these were candy caps (Lactarius rubidus) until I picked one and smelled its surprising and telltale aroma. 


Forest Floor Mosaic


Helvella maculata


These were some real giants along the side of the road -- Lepiotas, I believe.


I only had my phone camera with me when I checked on the trail cams and found this nice bear's head fungus.


Tidepoolers at Duxbury Reef


Snail Tracks


Aggregating anemone ensconced with coralline algae.


A chiton tucks in under a sea anemone (with purple sea urchins nearby).


I believe this is a brooding anemone (Epiactis prolifera).


And I believe this orange stuff is a sponge, maybe Ophlitaspongia pennata.


These tiny slugs are pure elegance.


In the 3D world underwater, who cares if you're upside-down.


This crusty old mollusk still has a pretty smile.


Sand Art at Low Tide, Stinson Beach


Day's End


Farallon Sunset

* * *