Thursday, December 28, 2023

Ocean Beach

 

December Sunset

The forecast for large swells today did not disappoint. I went to Cliff House to record the festivities as best I could with the FZ-80, but the resulting images are somewhat disappointing, quality-wise. 

There was so little contrast in the scene that the autofocus kept hunting for a subject, so I switched to manual focus despite being unable to really gauge sharpness through the tiny viewfinder. I also ran the "dehaze" slider pretty high in Lightroom to try to bring out some contrast, which also brought out a lot of noise.

All of which led me to add a few December-at-Ocean-Beach shots from my files, just to have something a little nicer to look at in the post.

Anyway, the swells were definitely much bigger than they were in my last post, although as "surf," it was completely untenable without even the slightest offshore wind to tighten up the waves. Instead of three or four guys out, there appeared to be nobody crazy enough to be out. 

It was interesting to see the ocean crashing right up against the bluffs below the old Cliff House, and even pouring into Sutro Baths. Check out the video below.


Wave Action at the Old Cliff House


I thought this was going to be the peak of the action as the wave struck Seal Rocks...


...but in the next moment, the wave exploded right over the rocks.


Cleaner Lines and Hollow Sections
(December 26, 2013)


The Right Stuff


See you next year!

* * *