Thursday, May 16, 2024

That 70s Guy

 

BB King, Norfolk, Virginia, ca. 1978

I waxed nostalgic last night after watching a couple of short documentaries on the photographer, Harry Callahan, whose initial interest in nature photography expanded over the years as he explored other subjects. So I thought I'd share some of my own humble beginnings in photography when I was in the navy back in the 1970s, and later in the '80s when I was a reporter and photographer at a couple of small-town daily papers, the Davis Enterprise and Sonora Union-Democrat.


Chicago Street Musician in the Winter


My friend Jo-Jo at Frank-N-Furter, Norfolk, Virginia


I came across this group of young soldiers as I was wandering around Haifa, Israel, while on liberty from my ship, the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, which had only recently been commissioned, and which is currently operating in the Red Sea. 


Blacksmith, Naples, Italy


Bicycle with revolutionary graffiti in Naples, Italy.


A couple happy guys after a special Halloween meal at the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission on Stearns Wharf.


Truckers


Wood Cutter


Guy in asbestos abatement suit.


Working in the Cold and Wet


Underwater Adventure


Jump Shot


Sports Choreography


Snowboarder Travis Yamada at Dodge Ridge, Sonora, California


Recumbent Bicyclist


Expressions of Magic


This young man could turn on the brightest smile at the drop of a hat. This was at a Fiddle and Bango Contest. And no, "Bango" is not misspelled.


Mandolin Merriment


I got the shot when he did this, and when I asked him if it was okay to print it in the paper, he insisted on it.


That '70s guy with his dad in Chicago, ca. 1976.

* * *