 |
| Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Immature Male), Golden Gate Park |
I wonder if all the rough weather east of the Rockies has made a few birds change course and come to California. Whatever the reason they're here, I hope they find everything they need to continue their journey.
This is a medley of birds I was able to photograph yesterday after the great blue heron flew away.
 |
| The Downy Woodpecker was going to town inside a small hole. |
 |
| Note the tiny wood chips flying out. |
 |
| It finally managed to pull out a few small grubs. |
 |
| Handsome Fellow |
 |
| Some Pygmy Nuthatches were in the trees nearby. |
 |
| And farther west, into the Rhododendron Dell, I was able to observe a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches. |
 |
| A Wilson's Warbler made a quick pass through the cycads north of the Lily Pond. |
 |
| I figured this bird was some kind of sparrow, but I wasn't familiar with it. Apparently it's a Chipping Sparrow. |
 |
| The chipping sparrow and this female Lazuli Bunting were feeding in a mixed flock of sparrows and juncos (which are also technically sparrows). |
 |
| I thought this guy might be another ovenbird, but it's a local Song Sparrow gleening insects in the Chilean rhubarb. |
 |
| I don't know if this junior Rose-breasted Grosbeak was nervous around me, but I didn't see it actually eat any of the cotoneaster berries. |
 |
| After awhile it flew east and out of sight. |
 |
| Prince of the Sprinkler, a Western Wood Pewee |
 |
| The wood pewee is a flycatcher, and it was busily snapping after insects that I never got a look at. Meanwhile, a nearby Western Flycatcher snagged a honeybee. In the original image you can see a droplet of something (poison?) on the tip of the bee's stinger. |
 |
| I don't think it stung the flycatcher, but the bird dropped the bee and didn't go after it again. |
 |
| I wouldn't have posted this shot of the Anna's Hummingbird except that it's nectaring on some bear's breeches, one of the first horticultural flowers whose name I learned when I moved to California back in the '80s. |
 |
| A couple of frisky Townsend's Warblers were chasing around the Dell but stopped just long enough for me to snap a couple of frames. |
 |
| I fired off many frames trying to get good shots of the Brown Creepers, some of which were sweetly calling to each other. |
 |
| I just love the feathered cape on these guys. |
 |
| American Robin on the attack. |
 |
| The worm tried to hold tough, but the robin didn't give up. |
 |
| And it eventually won its prize. |
 |
| Nearby, other robins opted for cotoneaster berries. |
* * *