Saturday, September 26, 2026

Northern Waterthrush

 

Red-shouldered Hawk Take-off, SF Botanical Garden

My favorite shots today weren't of the vagrant Northern Waterthrush. In fact, I almost failed to get any shots of the rare bird at all. 

As I was walking around the northern edge of the Ancient Plant Garden (where all those Chilean rhubarbs are) I spotted the small bird bobbing down by the little creek. I knew what it was right away, having viewed video of it on All About Birds a couple of weeks ago. 

I spun the exposure dial down a few clicks before I even brought the camera up to my eye, then fired off a few frames, only to realize my exposure was still about two stops too low. In the time it took to dial in the correct exposure, the bird had utterly disappeared. I spent a lot of time trying to find it again to no avail. Later, after I'd wandered around the garden for a couple of hours, I even returned to the area for another thorough look. No dice.

I wasn't sure if I could coax a decent picture out of those dark files, but Lightroom saved me again.


Northern Waterthrush



The squirrel was gnawing on the fruit of one of the area's trees and was much easier to photograph.

I'd arrived late in the morning, about 11:30, and wasn't seeing many birds. As I rounded the back of the Children's Garden, a red-shouldered hawk swooped onto a nearby branch, then soon flew over to perch on the fence.

The hawk tested my determination to wait for it to take off again.

Interestingly, it landed on a new perch just a little ways past me, completely unbothered by having a camera pointed at him at such close range.

California Scrub Jay

The jay was content to pose for a few shots as well.


I was surprised to see a few pipevine swallowtail butterflies today, but I was unable to photograph any of them. A couple of monarchs were also fluttering in the sun's warmth.

Back in the Ancient Plant Garden and looking in vain for the waterthrush, a Townsend's warbler consoled me with some close-ups.





A yellow-rumped warbler also passed through, but much higher up.


* * *