Sunday, September 13, 2026

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

 

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Female), Golden Gate Park

California is far west of the range map for rose-breasted grosbeaks, so I dropped down the hill before breakfast this morning after reading a sighting report. Once again, the berry-filled autumn olive bushes near the National AIDS Memorial Grove was the scene of action.

Coasting down the hill in the chill, slightly foggy morning air, I hoped I wouldn't be too early, wondering if the birds wouldn't be active yet. However, my concern was immediately put to rest when I arrived. Northern yellow warblers, Wilson's warblers, western tanagers, robins, western warbling vireos, and black-headed grosbeaks were all over the autumn olive, some eating its berries, others just foraging among its branches. (Red-breasted nuthatches called from nearby conifers.)

Thankfully another photographer soon arrived on the scene who was able to point out the rose-breasted grosbeak when it arrived, as I might have missed it. As a bonus, the rare bird came into perfect view near the front of the bush.

Moments later I noticed an Anna's hummingbird fly up in alarm near the back of the bush. As I peered into the branches I soon saw the source of its alarm. A Cooper's hawk had swooped into the heart of the bush.


Western Tanager in the Autumn Olive

Black-headed Grosbeak



Western Tanager Gets a Berry

Rosie Munches a Berry



The Cooper's hawk didn't have much of a chance to hunt. With three of us (and one dog) peering into the bush to get a look at him, the hawk soon flew away.

* * *