Thursday, September 10, 2020

Complementary Color

 


There's something soothing about seeing a short-wavelength sky. If I just imagine myself in these scenes I can briefly forget the nuclear-winter atmospherics that are going to reveal themselves as soon as the sun gets high enough in the sky to break through the massive gout of smoke and fog that's streaming above us this morning.



It's exactly 6:48 as I type these words, the moment of sunrise. I greet the new day like a present that I'm kind of afraid to open. 



How many times in the last year or so have we heard the phrase "This too shall pass"? Interesting times.



We lucked out today, as an area of low pressure moved in (windy.com). All that NorCal and Oregonian smoke that was streaming down the coast yesterday is now going the other way, and out to sea.

“There’s a direct relationship between heat and fire, and increasing heat is inevitable for at least a few decades,” said Michael Gerrard, director of Columbia University’s Sabin Center for Climate Change Law. “If you like 2020, you’re going to love 2050.”


* * *