Sunday, September 6, 2020

Habitats for Humanity

 


Woodland, marsh, and dune. I've always liked the variety of habitats at Pt. Reyes. Each hosts its own specialized bird life, but some generalists cross the boundaries like shoppers moving down the different aisles in a grocery store.



We had a lot of smoke in my neighborhood last night. It came in around 11 p.m. and we had to close all the windows. The Purple Air numbers were over 200 all around us in Golden Gate Heights, and over 300 around Twin Peaks.



This morning our neighborhood is showing numbers among the lowest in the city. There is no breeze, so maybe the smoke settled near the bottom of the hill, as it did yesterday. It was interesting to check the North Bay Fire Cams this morning and play the timelapse of the Pt. Reyes fires from Barnabe Peak. I started the timelapse before the sun came up, which gave a more clear idea of where the actual flames are. 



I found this coyote (?) skull while I was poking around the marshy area above.



I brought it home and cleaned it up, then put it in my back yard as a decoration. It didn't even last one night before a raccoon chewed it to pieces.

* * *