Monday, September 7, 2020

Photo Shop 1984

 

This was my photo shop long before it became Photoshop. I found this picture yesterday while I was looking for something else and thought I would post it. And then I changed my mind. But then I read a good interview with Craig Newmark this morning and decided to post the picture and this really good bit from Craig, discussing his philanthropy in the realm of journalism:

In 2016, you started Craig Newmark Philanthropies. And under that you fund many, many initiatives. In particular, you’ve given millions of dollars away to support journalism and protect press freedom. Why is this such an important issue to you and what do you hope to achieve? The principles are from high school history and civics taught by Mr. Schulzki in 1970. He said, “A trustworthy press is the immune system of democracy.” And yet in 2016, we were attacked by a hostile foreign power using information warfare techniques to place an asset in high office. It’s incumbent upon patriotic Americans to fight back, to work together, and to take the battle to the enemy.

I’m working with people in journalism, cybersecurity, studying disinformation and voter suppression. I’m working to try to protect the country because we are at war. My dad had World War II where he fought in the Pacific; I figure I have what Marshall McLuhan called “World War III,” a guerrilla information war fought without distinction between civilian and military participants. That’s the only thing he said that I ever understood.

https://nobhillgazette.com/the-interview-craig-beyond-the-list/

* * *