Monday, January 22, 2024

Drop in the Ocean

 

Calla Lily

My favorite kind of rain is the kind that falls when I'm content to be indoors anyway, whether lying awake in bed, reading on the couch with the cat asleep at my feet, cooking a pasta dinner, watching the 49ers beat the Packers, and so on. I even kind of enjoyed being in the rain the other night when we came out of the Roxie Theater after watching a 3D Wim Wenders movie about Anselm Kiefer. 

What I don't like is feeling stuck indoors. Yes, we could always go out despite the rain. Just gear up and get wet. But my desperation hasn't gotten to that point yet. Instead I might look for a little indoor photo project such as trying to capture an image of a background object in a water droplet. I tried it with the leaf of a calla lily and a little marigold from our back yard, but didn't get exactly what I wanted. That's okay. There will be more rainy days to try again if I feel like it.

As soon as the rain died out this morning I headed out for a walk to the beach. The weather radar showed another wave of rain heading toward the coast, but it looked like I could get home before it caught me. I ended up spending a little extra time at the beach to watch the antics of a few sanderlings, but it all turned out okay when the wave of rain dissipated before reaching land.


Cool Blues at Ocean Beach


Clearing Storm


Plastics in the Wrack Line


Sand Waves


Pearly Sky


Sanderling vs. Mole Crab


On the Run


Taking a Break


Sanderling Appears to Crow About Its Prize


Warm Droplet


Fancy Studio Setup


* * *