Sunday, January 7, 2024

Over Time


UCSF Demolition, 9/29/2023

UCSF Demolition, 12/22/2023

Photographs are a great memory aid, and I've always enjoyed "before and after" or "then and now" photos. A couple of things I kept track of over time as I did my city walks last year were the demolition of some old buildings at UCSF's Parnassus Heights campus, an eyesore parklet on Irving Street, and a neighborhood trash dump on Noriega Street. 

The UCSF demolition is really the only one that started out as a before-and-after. The parklet and the trash dump provided unanticipated changes.

The trash dump was actually part of a series that I posted back in May, and I never anticipated the surprise ending. 

The parklet was interesting to me because it was such an over-the-top, hideous disgrace on Irving Street. Eventually the restaurant had someone paint a mural over the graffiti. It was looking good for a while, but the muralist paused work for so long at one point that taggers eventually began to reclaim the territory.


Noriega Street Trash Dump, 1/18/2023

How to Fix a Trash Dump, 12/27/2023



Pandemic Parklet at 16th & Irving, 4/26/2023

Pandemic Parklet at 16th & Irving, 12/27/2023


Parklet gone (no parking meters yet either)! As of 4/10/2024.
[UPDATE]


Coco the Cat, 1/19/2023


Coco the Cat, 12/22/2023

* * *