Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Out and About

 

Golden Gate Bison

The bison paddock in Golden Gate Park is looking good with new green grass coming in. The color makes a nice backdrop for the chocolate-brown bison. The beautiful texture of their fur seems so inviting, I imagine giving them a little skritch. 

Both on my walk and bike ride today I saw and heard several red-shouldered hawks screeching and careening across the sky. I stopped to photograph one of them while it was in a beautiful ray of light (on an otherwise mostly foggy day around my side of the city). Unfortunately, it took off before I could stop and get my camera out of the bike bag. However, I noticed it had a branch in its beak as it flew to a nest a little higher in the Monterey pine.

This was near the former Stow Lake, now known as Blue Heron Lake. I've been noticing great blue herons already stationed in the nest trees there for a couple of weeks.

While on my walk earlier in the morning I noticed several dead individuals of devil's coach-horse beetle on the sidewalk along Sunset Boulevard. I wondered if they got flooded out of their burrows by all the rain and suffered the bad luck of being stepped on while they were out and about. 

A little farther along I stepped onto the greenbelt to check out a mushroom and noticed two healthy beetles, one following the other, heading toward them. Maybe they were hoping to eat whatever worms or slugs might be on the fungi. I stopped to watch for a while but was disappointed when they seemed to ignore the mushrooms in favor of climbing through the greenery on some inscrutable mission. 


Bison Portrait


Great Blue Heron in Nest Tree at Blue Heron Lake


Devil's Coach-Horse Beetles


Beetle Exploring the Urban Jungle

* * *