Friday, January 26, 2024

North Side Tidbits

 

Gauzy Cascade on Mt. Tamalpais

I jumped the gun yesterday and posted before I'd checked out the FZ80 shots, which, along with some slo-mo from the smartphone, turned out to be arguably worth posting. 


A few seconds of slow-motion cascades.


These cherry-tipped Lipstick Powderhorn lichens (Cladonia macilenta) were situated so close to a small oak seedling near the Lily Pond that I couldn't get either my DSLR or FZ80 in position to photograph them. Luckily, the much more svelte smartphone slipped right in there.

This red-tailed hawk first drew my attention when it was on the ground on the west-facing side of Bolinas Ridge. It made a very brief sound, and when I first saw it hunched on the hillside I thought for just a split second that I'd lucked into a bobcat sighting. The hawk took off and coasted over the ridge and out of sight, but I climbed a small hill and saw that it had landed at the top of a Douglas fir. I'd hoped to capture it taking off, but was disappointed when it flew the "wrong" way to escape my prying lens.


I was checking out a spot along Bolinas Ridge where I've previously photographed interesting mushrooms as well as early-blooming hound's tongue, but the whole area had been drastically changed by chainsaw crews who cut many of the smaller Douglas firs and whatnot. As I was poking around the edge of the cut area I discovered this banana slug who'd been feasting on a large Russula.
[UPDATE: I was up there four days later and checked this spot to see what might be left. There was no sign of the mushroom other than a half-dollar-sized shallow hole with some white mycelium in it.]

* * *