Thursday, March 28, 2024

Down Home

 

Potted Mushroom

At the bottom of this post back in early January I mentioned the Poison Pie mushrooms [UPDATE: spore print below] that were growing in my potted coast live oaks. Today I saw that they were back, just a few days before the rainy season officially comes to a close at the end of this month (according to the New York Times). 

My plans for a thousand-mile round-trip drive down to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park seem to have evaporated like desert dew, hampered by commitments at home and windy conditions in Borrego Springs. 

It's kind of far to go down there for a day or two, and it's been tricky trying to find a longer opening, in part due to our ailing Coco. A semi-feral outdoor cat who adopted us about eight years ago, she's been having some age-related medical issues, and even seems to have caught a cold (I'd never heard a cat sneeze so much!). Now she hardly ever goes any farther than our sunny stair stoop, and she needs increased care and companionship. So, it's not the best time for me to take off for several days on photo safari.

I was going to drive up to Mt. Tam to check on the trail cams today, but it looks like we're going to be in for some sunny weather soon, so I think I'll wait a few days and ride my ebike up there when the roads have dried out early next week. 

In the meantime I'm staying close to home, enjoying the cloudscapes, the townsends warblers singing in the trees, the chickadees gathering Coco's cat hair for nesting material, and the blooming of orange Clivia flowers and white calla lilies in the yard. Just the other day I heard a hermit thrush singing in the neighbor's oak tree for the first time ever. And the leaves on our hazel tree have just started to unfold (I noticed them coming out on Mt. Tam in early March). 


Clivia flower in calla lily leaf.


Finally, some vertical build-up action for the timelapse....


Rear Window Timelapse, 3/28/24


Getting the FZ-80 about as close as it can get.


Calla lilies are kind of irresistible.


The side of my neighbor's house was in the background so I made a little pop-art....


Unfurling hazel leaves (from a branch pressed against the side of my neighbor's house), 3/25/2024.


I rarely see the bison lying down, but lately they're doing it all the time. There was just this one out there today while the rest of the herd was lined up for lunch close to their feeding pen. 


This tree in Golden Gate Park looks great all the time, but sometimes the light makes it magical (more so than I was able to capture in this shot, unfortunately). I usually pass this tree riding my bike downhill at about 25 mph, and I rarely stop to admire it. Sometimes it seems like things look more interesting in passing than they do standing still.


[UPDATE] This morning's spore print of the poison pie (Hebeloma crustuliniforme).

* * *