Saturday, March 16, 2024

Wind Blown

 

Abbotts Lagoon Sunrise

After all those windy days I was eager to get out to the dunes around Abbotts Lagoon to see if I could find any of the Pt. Reyes Wallflowers (Erysimum concinnum) that I photographed back in March 2010. I'd checked my Windy app and saw that it wasn't going to be dead calm, which was unfortunate. But I was still disappointed when I arrived at the parking lot and heard the wind howling just a little bit in the pre-dawn darkness. 

As it turned out, I need not have concerned myself about the wind since there weren't any wildflowers to photograph anyway. The bright spot of my morning turned out to be watching a family of river otters swim by as they moved from the seaward part of the lagoon to the inland part. They spooked a great blue heron into flight as it was hunting near the bridge. The heron had not spooked earlier when I crossed the bridge, but a GBH does not mess around with a family of voracious otters.



The freshly wind-scoured sand dunes already had several sets of animal tracks crossing here and there. One disturbance looked like it might have been made by a bird landing and sweeping the sand with its wings, as if it had been going after prey. Nearby was a tiny dead mole lying on top of the sand. I wondered why it hadn't been eaten.


Point Reyes Wallflower on a calm morning at Abbotts Lagoon in March 2010.


The otters swam underwater as they approached and passed beneath the bridge, but finally showed themselves at least briefly.


I hoped they would get out on the dunes and play, but they did not. There are five otters in this shot.


Moocows in the Morning


Composite shot of a flicker that took off from its coyote brush perch.


Lots of spotted towhees were belting out their sunrise songs.

* * *