Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Garden Finds

 

Puffballs & Yerba Buena

When I spotted the Lycoperdon in the garden late yesterday afternoon I was too tired to photograph it (but not to pour a little water on it), and I almost had the same issue today. I'm so used to being most active in the morning that I need to find a second wind to do anything more strenuous than reading a book in the afternoon. 

The puffballs had sprouted in the midst of some yerba buena I recently got from Bay Natives, so I included a sprig of the deliciously scented leaves along with the sandy, loamy soil from which the fungi are growing. I replaced the fungi along with the lump of soil back where it came from when I was done shooting it, and I hope the puffballs keep growing long enough to sporulate.


The original lump of soil included a tiny sprout of Oxalis, my ubiquitous nemesis.


I like these little spurred purple guys, but I've forgotten what they're called. I'm glad I planted them in a pot because they are prolific spreaders.


Besides having very little working space to set up a tripod for shooting in the garden itself, if Coco wakes up from her bed of leaves and sees me, I will have no chance to work without her furry, purry interruptions.

I was sad to learn today that a blogger I've followed for years recently passed away. John was traveling around the country in his RV with his cat Sinbad when I first started reading his blog, then another cat named Beans after Sinbad died. I always appreciated the experience of vicarious wanderlust during the years leading up to my own recent retirement. Unfortunately, John's wife took down the blog after a spate of nasty trolling in the comment section following his death. It looks like his free e-books still survive, at least for now.


* * *