Friday, September 29, 2023

Hazelnut

 

First Hazelnut

After so many years with nothing, the native hazel (Corylus cornuta) we planted in our yard finally produced a nut! I actually found it on the ground this morning. I'd thought the lack of nuts all these years was because there are no other hazels nearby to pollinate the flowers (of which there are many females and males each year), so this is a surprise. This year I'm planning to go find some wild hazelnuts so I can collect pollen to bring home. 

In addition to the above nut, I also found a collection of very small nuts in another kind of plant structure. There's a picture of the two nuts on a hazel leaf below.

In addition to finding the nut on the ground, I also found the inflorescence of one of our succulents (possibly Echeveria cante, which I might previously have misidentified as a Dudleya) had been knocked off -- whether by cat, 'coon, squirrel, rat, or bird, I have no idea. I couldn't let it go to waste, so I photographed it.

On my neighborhood walk today I picked a mallow-family blossom to photograph back at home, and I also took some phone snaps of a few flowers I encountered on my walk.


Hazelnuts on Hazel Leaf


Anisodontea capensis, I believe.


Facing the other way.


Echeveria conte (?)


Zinnia in the 7th Avenue Garden


I believe this is called flowering maple (Callianthe striata).


Natal Lilies (Crinum moorei) at the pond across Stanyan Street from the Haight (where an apartment complex is being built on the old McDonald's property next to Amoeba Records).

* * *