Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Anza-Borrego Desert

 

Ocotillo in creosote bush scrub, Hell Hole Canyon

The last day of March (Easter Sunday) began when I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and hit the road an hour later, arriving in rainy Anza-Borrego Desert State Park around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I remembered squeezing in my last trip there on a long weekend when I was working four days a week, and being amazed that I could so quickly drive to a place so utterly foreign to, say, Mt. Tamalpais or Pt. Reyes -- a place where the average annual rainfall is just 5 or 6 inches -- and still be back at work on Monday. 

The shots below are laid out chronologically, with the first stop being some colorful beavertail catus and spindly ocotillo that I encountered coming down from the mountains on Road S22 on the eastern side of the park. I guess because I've only made a handful of quick photo trips to Anza-Borrego, the landscape didn't seem as familiar as I expected, and Borrego Springs has gone from a sleepy, tiny town to a bustling, tiny town. 


Bright pink beavertail cactus, with some red-flowered chuparosa (Justicia californica) (better examples to come when I get to Joshua Tree) on the side.


Rain coming down from the mountains, bringing the desert floor to life.


Creosote bush scrub at the bottom of Hellhole Canyon.


Flowering barrel cactus.


Same cactus after the rain passed.


Barrel cactus flowers up close. I was glad I'd brought my umbrella. I only needed it for a little while, and it dried out very quickly between rain squalls.


Spiny cholla cactus (of which there are many species).


I'd heard about the presence of white-lined sphynx moth caterpillars but couldn't find any for the first couple of minutes. I thought I'd blown my timing, but once I spotted the first one, the rest were everywhere. Some were light-colored like this one, while others were much darker. They were all feasting on dune evening primrose (Oenothera deltoides).


Wildflower assortment along Henderson Canyon Road, where the caterpillars were. Patches like this were no longer common by the time I was there. I was actually a little disappointed to have missed the bloom when it was more fresh and spread out, earlier in the month.


Nevertheless, there were still a few nice singles around, like this brittlebush (Encelia farinosa).


Sleeping beauties.


At one point it looked like the ladybug took a drink of the water droplet on this lupine leaf.


Caterpillar in suspense.


Close-up of its pretty (horrifying?) face.


Heading out of the park toward Salton Sea, I spotted another batch of wildflowers just off the road in a sandy wash.


Desert sand verbena (Abronia villosa), with dune primrose and brittlebush.


A nice verbena bloom on the sandy alluvium. This is the area where I saw a lone desert lily (in not very photogenic circumstances).


A pincushion of brittlebush alongside the road. Next stop, the Desert Lily Preserve.


* * *