Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Street Flowers

 

Hummingbird Sage (Salvia spathacea)

I first encountered hummingbird sage in Santa Barbara. As a wildflower, its natural range does not include the Bay Area. However, it's also a popular horticultural plant that happens to do pretty well in people's gardens here. The plant I photographed here appears to have escaped the confines of its nearby garden, but I suspect the gardener (a neighbor) actually seeded the soil beneath a couple of street trees. 

I have yet to catch a hummingbird feeding on them as I walk by, but it seems like just the kind of thing they would like.


Note the resinous sepals and bracts. This can be a very sticky plant to handle.


Street Garden


Stairway Garden


Garden Snail


I wondered what explains the dotted trail and found some serious (and not-so-serious) guesses here at New Scientist.

The scientific name was Helix aspersa when I was in a first-year zoology class decades ago. We were taught that Latin names are used because Latin is a "dead language." Word meanings don't change the way they do in living languages. However, I do think it's kind of funny that the common name for garden snails remains the same after all these years, while the scientific name now is Cornu aspersum. Taxonomy never sleeps.


* * *