Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Golden Days

 

California Poppy

I've been thinking about these poppies (Eschscholzia californica) for a few days. They're growing in a yard across the street, in front of an unoccupied house that has been undergoing a lot of refurbishment since the nice old lady who lived there moved in with her family. Even with no one living there, I felt just a tiny bit guilty when I walked over this afternoon and picked out a pair to photograph in my living room.

Even though I've been thinking about doing it for a few days, I finally had the time and inclination today, maybe enhanced by having watched, just yesterday, an inspiring film about the photographer Paul Strand, called Under the Dark Cloth (on Kanopy). 

These close-ups are all uncropped focus-stacked images, something that would be nearly impossible to shoot in the wild due to subject movement caused by the wind. Click any image to see them larger.












These bleeding hearts (Dicentra formosa) are from our own yard....

* * *