Monday, April 15, 2024

Herons in the Park

 

Prowling Night Heron

I'd thought about going to Mt. Tam this morning before continuing on to Duxbury Reef, but I'm glad I changed my mind before trying to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, which was closed for hours by protesters. Instead I took my usual walk to the beach, followed by a bike ride through the park, where I was surprised to see a black-crowned night heron hunting from the broken-down tree branches on Metson Lake.


Cattails at Metson Lake


Plantain Border at Metson Lake


Cattails and Calla Lilies


The heron eventually moved to a new location without making any stabs at the fish swimming by. 


A Townsend's warbler was hoping to get a crack at bathing in a nearby puddle of water but its hopes were dashed by a robin who got there first.


I only spotted the townie (and a red-breasted nuthatch that was too fast for me) after I stopped to watch a great blue heron hunting for gophers in a meadow bordered with white English daisies and blue forget-me-nots.


Ocean Beach this morning.


Cat Graphic


It's so hard to sleep in the daytime with all that light coming in the window....


Fuzzy Girl


No wonder my phone is full of cat pictures....

* * *