Monday, April 8, 2024

Eclipsed

 

Magic Pinhole Eclipse :)

A neighbor asked me to move his morning newspaper into his porch vestibule for a few days while he is visiting a relative -- in Cincinnati, Ohio. What a totality lucky guy!

As you can see from the photo above, I'd been looking for a suitable pinhole to view our measly partial eclipse and got a mushroom instead. (My wife created the image by poking pinholes in a sheet of thick paper.)

I took a bike ride down to the Giant Camera at the Cliff House, hoping they would have a great pinhole view of whatever eclipse could be seen here, but it was closed. I tried to work something out with the webbing from my bike helmet, but that was pretty unconvincing, then strolled over to get the view over Sutro Baths and noticed a dead baby seal on the beach, with gulls beginning to take an interest, and when I strolled back I saw that the Giant Camera was about to open after all.

Never having been in there before in all my years of living in San Francisco, I paid the grand sum of $2 to get inside. It was interesting, but unfortunately it was not set up to view the eclipse. So, like everybody else stuck in partial-world, I did the next best thing and watched it online (and took a few screenshots).


Nice clear day for an eclipse viewing....


Bike helmet mesh viewing....


Baby seal washed onto the beach at Sutro Baths.


View inside the Giant Camera. The image rotates 360 degrees but probably wouldn't work well for even a total eclipse.








* * *