Monday, October 7, 2024

Morning Light

 

Hot Sky Morning

When's the last time it was cool enough to sleep under the bed covers? I like warmth, but 85 degrees in the house is too much of a good thing. As this morning's dawn brought another beautiful sky, the "cool" night air had only brought us down to 80 degrees. 

Until the last couple of years, I could always count on the fog to come in after a maximum of three really hot days. Hot air inland would suck the fog in, almost as if it were a law of physics. So what happened?! I know the laws of physics didn't change, and I can only wonder if warmer ocean temperatures are to blame.

As I was eating lunch a little while ago, trying to decide whether I should close the west-facing windows before the sun started beating down on them, the curtains suddenly caught a breeze. They haven't budged in days, so I can only hope things are finally about to change for the cooler.

Out for my walk this morning I was surprised by a pair of woodpeckers who flew into a lone tree way down in the Avenues on Noriega Street. One quickly flew across the street, but I managed to grab a couple shots of the other one, first in the tree, then on a nearby telephone pole. I've seen the same species a couple of times recently but haven't been able to find a match for it online. So I went old-school and looked in one of our field guides (Northern California Birds by Herbert Clarke). Bingo! 


Hot Feathers


Just up from Los Angeles, the HMM Emerald heads for the Port of Oakland. I liked that someone had put chairs down on the beach. They look like the chairs that have popped up in parts of Golden Gate Park.


I was surprised to see a foil surfer this morning. I'm not sure I've seen one at Ocean Beach before.


Starling on Noriega Street


Nuttall's Woodpecker


Nuttall's climbing a telephone pole.


Fast-moving mystery warbler.


I stopped to watch a large group of bushtits that flew into a tree at North Lake, then noticed their frequent followers, the chickadees and Townsend's warblers, as well as some other tiny warbler(s) I couldn't identify.  


This red-shouldered hawk caught my attention as it flew low across JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park, then landed on a low pine branch. It finally turned its head enough for me to get a catch-light in its eye, then flew to a new branch.

As I prepared to get back on my bike, a visitor asked me if that had been a hawk or a falcon. I told him what it was, and that they were fairly common in the park, and that he might hear one scream. I hoped one would oblige me at that exact moment, but no such luck. Less than a minute later, though, another one screamed beautifully, and I could only wonder if the visitor had heard it too.

* * *