Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Parrots in the Apple Tree

 

Apple Muncher, Golden Gate Heights

It's heading back toward 80 degrees in our livingroom already, and the sun isn't even striking the front (west-facing) windows yet. A cool and mild sea breeze faked me out this morning, and I began my West Portal/Forest Hill walk in good spirits, figuring the breeze would most likely pick up and cool things down even more.

Nope. The breeze gave out less than half-way through the walk. Later on I was down by the ocean on my bike and casting fond looks out to the hazy, foggy horizon. But still no breeze to bring it in.

I was just a block from home when I saw that a small flock of parrots had landed in someone's apple tree. As I was getting my camera out I had to pick up the pace when I saw the homeowner come outside. I just got off a couple of frames before he hosed water at the parrots and sent them on their way, chattering in their cacophonous parrot language.


Wary Parrot


Lemon Sipper
(The hummer was visiting the lemon trees in the same yard as the apple trees. I'd passed some lemon flowers earlier on my walk and inhaled a snootful of their wonderful scent.)


The pusher tug Barry Silverton and articulated tug barge Dr Robert J Beall, en route to Ferndale, Washington (according to VesselFinder), presumably via the Nooksack River, which is currently less than five feet deep at Ferndale. 

* * *