Sunday, October 6, 2024

Garden Bodhisattva

 

Fallen Hazel Leaves

Looks like the hot, dry weather is hastening the leaf-drop in our backyard hazel tree. Normally there wouldn't be so much leaf litter until November.

I was hoping to head up to Lake Tahoe to check out the kokanee salmon spawning in Taylor Creek this coming week, but apparently there is a sandbar preventing the fish from going up, and the bar will only be washed away by a water release from Fallen Leaf Lake.

From what I gather online, fall color has been going off nicely in the mountains above Bishop, and even as far north as Conway Summit. It's also cooler in the mountains, and downright chilly at night, and that sounds pretty good right now, as it's 80.9 degrees here at my computer desk. 

Besides the heat, I'm also feeling nagged by this Official Ballot sitting in front of me which I kind of dread having to fill out. So many decisions have to be made based on very imperfect information, making it an unappealing duty (as, I suppose, many duties are). 

Which reminds me that I just read Yuval Noah Harari's excellent book Nexus: A Brief History of Information Networks from the Stone Age to AI. It's a great reminder that "information" isn't necessarily true, and that information networks mold the way we see and experience the world.


Hazel Leaves & Growing Catkins


Faded Bouquet


Object of Contemplation


Subject of Contemplation


Enlightenment

* * *