Friday, October 4, 2024

Ten-Four, Good Buddy

 

Sunrise with Sutro Tower & Twin Peaks, 10/4/2024

The sky was looking so good this morning that I couldn't resist grabbing the camera and heading up the street a little bit to capture a view that wasn't criss-crossed with a web of power lines and telephone poles. Later, as I headed out the door for my UCSF/Cole Valley/Haight Ashbury/GG Park/Inner Sunset walk, I turned around to grab a light jacket to stuff into my knapsack. The fog was rolling in, and I might need it.

By around 9:30, though, the fog had not just rolled back but had simply evaporated. Lucky for everyone heading to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, there's still a cool breeze.

Heading into the Oak Woodland this morning I spotted a Townsend's warbler and gave chase. The little guy eventually flew away before I was sure I'd even gotten a shot of him. They move so fast through such dense foliage that I almost always feel like I've just missed my chance as they flit out of the frame.

A little while later I heard a bird chirping and was surprised to see it was some kind of little wren. It was like trying to focus on a kernel of popping popcorn, with branches and leaves getting in the way. At one point I had him so lined up and in focus, when a jogger scared him off before I could release the shutter.

There's skill involved with photographing songbirds, and also luck, and some kind of law of averages. Later on, the red-tailed hawks I encountered down by Ocean Beach were another matter: pure luck.


City Dawn from Golden Gate Heights


A river of fog drifted over Golden Gate Park (that's the Kezar Stadium entrance down below) at around 9 a.m., but soon disappeared.


The robins were still going after those Autumn Olive berries. Many berries remain on the bush, but it's probably easier to just snag them off the ground. I tried one myself and found the juice to be sweet and just slightly astringent, but I spit out both the pit and the skin.


No more river of fog.


Townie in the Oaks


Going Up!


Bokeh Bird


All kinds of acorn pieces and whatnot were raining down on me at one point, and this was the critter behind it all.


I hadn't expected to get a shot of the wren. The intense backlight often made the lens hunt for something to focus on, and the unprocessed image here was basically a silhouette. I was impressed to find so much detail captured in the jpeg.


This dark-eyed junco had just chased off a rival, puffing up its feathers to make it appear bigger. And it did appear bigger -- maybe twice the size of the one it scared off.


I got off my bike at the bottom of Golden Gate Park to photograph this red-tailed hawk on a light post, when a raven soon drifted over to keep an eye on him.


The (banded) hawk didn't care for the company and flew across the street to perch on a different light pole. I snapped a photo, and by the time the viewfinder black-out was over, the hawk was gone.


Incredibly, he was practically at my feet!


Where he had snagged a mouse in the ice plant, caught here with the nictitating membrane covering his eyes.


He's about to fly away with the mouse. I guess the show's over.


Nope! He hopped up to a nearby fence post.


Determining the coast was clear, with no other hawks or feathered fiends to annoy him, he consumed the mouse.


Just taking care of business, right there next to the bike/pedestrian path, with vehicle traffic just a few feet away.


The overall scene....


I like the guy in the convertible snapping pictures of something else from the car.


I was surprised to find a second red-tail on the cliffs below the Giant Camera (which has been open the last few days, and juding by the total lack of customers I would guess the word is not out yet).


This one was double-banded.


This was the first day in a long time that I could see Mt. Tamalpais from head to toe.


When I entered the park here at 9th & Lincoln on today's bike ride, there was still a lot of construction activity as they finished paving the street. By the time I headed home, it was all done. All the fencing and construction machinery are gone. 

* * *