Friday, July 19, 2024

Amoeba Marker


Going Up, December 22, 2023

You might remember when there was a McDonald's fast-food joint down there on the corner of Haight and Stanyan. It was one of the sketchiest Mickey Dees you'd ever want to go into, and the city (after complaining about all the calls for police there) bought the property and demolished the restaurant in 2018. They ran a temporary homeless encampment on the site during the pandemic (despite a lawsuit to stop it), then gave everyone the boot in order to build affordable apartments.

Since I walk past this location on one of my weekly neighborhood walks, I thought it would be fun to do a "time drift" of the construction. When I first saw the crane rising behind the Amoeba Music "Bowling" tower, I figured that would be a good marker to help me shoot from the same location every week. All the shots were taken around 9:30 to 10 a.m. on Fridays (note the long December shadow vs. the sparse shadow today).


January 26, 2024


March 22, 2024


A pre-fab section of the outer wall of the building (complete with windows) is being lowered into position on May 16, 2024.


Most of the lower floors have walls in place on May 31, 2024.


It appeared that all the walls were up today, July 19, 2024, and I don't expect the view from this angle to change much at this point.

* * *