Sunday, July 28, 2024

Beach Day

 

Sea Lions Resting on Seal Rocks

Someone on a local birding list reported seeing harbor seals at Seal Rocks, so I brought along my binoculars today to see if I could find them. On the farthest of the Seal Rocks I did see the sea lions shown above, but no harbor seals. If the report was a case of mistaken identity, I'm still grateful to the reporter for coaxing me to bring the binoculars, as I'm not sure I'd have noticed the sea lions without them.

Since I was down there anyway, I fired off a few frames from the Cliff House overlook.


A Windy Sunday at the Beach


Brown Pelican Drifting Into The Wind


Western Gull Fly-by


The waves were kind of terrible, but this guy was making the most of what was available.


This Western gull was hanging in the wind, and only very slowly dropping down to finally land on top of the Cliff House.


Different Wave, Same Surfer


A young Heermann's gull flies by.


I thought it would be easy to look up the identity of this caterpillar, but I was stumped. I'll update with an ID if I find out what it is. It was munching a small plant growing out of the sidewalk between Grandview Park and the Rocky Outcrop at 14th & Ortega. [UPDATE: The iNaturalist folks put it in the Arctiini tribe of tiger moths.]

* * *