Friday, July 19, 2024

Summer in the City

 

Cool Shorebreak

I was surprised last night when the television weather forecaster said the water off Ocean Beach was 61 degrees (61.3 according to these guys). It's pretty rare for the temps to climb out of the 50s.

I was also surprised to wake up to a clear, sunny day today. Combined with a cool sea breeze it was a perfect day to be outside, with a high of 70 degrees. Hard to believe it's over 100 not that far inland.


Brown pelicans were winging it along the coast...


...and once again taking rest breaks on Seal Rocks.


It was so bright and sunny, I figured the FZ80 would be able to reach a high enough shutter speed to stop the splash-motion of the shorebreak as it rushed into rocks on the beach.


1/1000th sec. exposure @ f/8


My wife and I still miss our kitty kat, and I couldn't resist snapping this photo when I saw the name of the boat through my lens.


Lots of power in the surf today.


This is a sub-adult black-crowned night heron at Metson Lake, but it's a more mature one than the bird I photographed there yesterday.


And as I was watching the sub-adult, this adult heron sprang out from behind a thicket of branches and took up a position in the open.


The wild parrots have been in the neighborhood a lot lately, and when I got home I could hear them chattering away in my neighbor's oak tree.

* * *